Apprenticeships at Andover College
Many businesses have benefited from employing and training apprentices, this Government sponsored initiative is an excellent way to invest in your company’s future.
Andover College are a grade one and Hampshire Status College with a dedicated Business Development Unit who work closely with a wide range of businesses across Hampshire.
Apprenticeships offer young people the opportunity to launch their careers by combining work-based training with education that leads to qualifications. Contributing to their chosen business, the young people earn as they learn and follow a structured training programme as the first step on a long-term employment path.
The Apprenticeship programmes are offered at:
- APPRENTICESHIP (Level 2)
- ADVANCED APPRENTICESHIP (Level 3)
- HIGHER LEVEL APPRENTICESHIP (Level 4 where available and applicable)
How it works
Apprenticeships focus on the whole job, not just individual skills and apprentices learn through a combination of on- and-off the job education and training. On the job they work alongside staff employed within your organisation and the rest is delivered by Andover College staff often on a day release basis.
Apprenticeships help you stay competitive by developing the kind of people your business needs for the future.
Who can apply for an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are available to anyone from the age of 16-24 who wishes to become experienced and trained in a particular industry, whether they are new or already employed in the sector. The duration of training depends on the chosen vocational area and level.
Achieving the full Apprenticeship Framework can take from 12 to 48 months, dependant on the level of qualification and also Apprenticeship programme. All apprentices are employed with a company and receive the same pay and conditions as your normal employees. The only difference is they are given on and off the job training and qualifications.
Finding the right apprenticeship
Andover College can help you and your apprentice decide which Apprenticeship is best for your business and also the individual employee.
The frameworks are developed with approved awarding bodies and also specialists who design and develop qualifications in line with employers and also training organisations and the needs within those businesses. The frameworks are reviewed for compliance and suitability regularly to ensure delivery is compatible with industry requirements and educational development.
Apprenticeships and Advanced Apprenticeships follow a framework of qualifications and comprise of:
- Apprenticeships usually last at least a minimum of a year and apprentices work towards a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) at Level 2, Key Skills (shortly to become Functional Skills) and in most cases a Technical Certificate.
- Advanced Apprenticeships usually last at least a minimum of 15 months and apprentices work towards a National Vocational Qualification at Level 3, Key Skills (shortly to become Functional Skills) and a Technical Certificate.
- Higher Level Apprenticeships usually last at least 18 months minimum and apprentices work towards a National Vocational Qualification (or equivalent in some cases) at Level 4, Key skills (unless achieved already and maybe Functional skills after 1 September 2010)
The benefits of having an apprentice:
- You will be supported in recruiting able and suitable young people
- They will be equipped with the knowledge to do the job well during off the job training/
- Apprenticeships are designed by businesses in your sector and therefore training will be relevant to your organisation
- Existing and new employees will be encouraged to stay and progress within your company
- You will be acquiring skills for your business that allow you to keep abreast of changes
- You will be developing your workforce for the future - including potential supervisors and managers.
Typical areas of Apprenticeships on offer are and all are available as PDF documents for you to download.
- Office work, including sales, reception, and general clerical duties
- Customer service often within a service industry base
- Purchase, sales and bought ledger
- Accountants assistant including credit control
- Maintenance and repair of vehicles
- Light and Heavy vehicles
- Motor Cycle
- Welding and fabrication
- Electronic assembly
HAIR AND BEAUTY
- Beauty therapy
EARLY YEARS CARE
- Nursery work
SPORTS AND RECREATION
- Sports and gyms
HOSPITALITY AND CATERING
- Catering in hotels and restaurants
- Hotel and bar work
We are able to offer alternatives and options, just discuss your requirements with us and we will endeavour to support you with your requests.